This recipe was handed down to me from my Mom. The original recipe did not call for carrots or zucchini. I began to add these at the request of my husband who really loves vegetable soup.
Chicken Lime Soup aka Tortilla Soup
- 1 whole chicken (boiled, together with onion, carrot, celery, peppercorns, garlic cloves, salt )
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 whole white onions (thinly sliced into half moons)
- 4 whole Chili Poblano (cleaned; skinned charred, veins and seeds removed )
- 2 whole tomatoes (seeded and chopped)
- 1 1/2 limes
- 2 zucchini (cut into large pieces)
- 2 carrots (peeled and cut into large pieces)
- In a large stock pot add the chicken, bay leaf, 1/2 a white onion, 3 cloves of garlic, celery leaves, one to two carrots, dried thyme leaves, dried marjoram leave, and a teaspoon of black peppercorns. Barely cover with water and bring to a boil. Remove the foam as the water comes to a boil. Boil until the chicken is cooked through.While the chicken is boiling, clean the poblano peppers, slice the onion and chop the tomatoes. In a large skillet add 2 T. olive oil. Sautee the onions until translucent, add the poblano peppers and the chopped tomatoes. Season with kosher salt, pepper and continue to cook over medium low heat until all the vegetables are cooked; approximately 10 minutes.
Remove chicken from the stock, shred the meat and set aside. Strain stock into a large stockpot. Add the cooked onion, poblano mixture, thyme, marjoram and carrots. Cook for approximately 10 minutes or until the carrots begin to feel almost cooked. Add the zucchini and the shredded chicken. Cook an additional 10 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked through. Turn the heat off and add the juice of 1 1/2 to 2 limes (to taste).
Serve topped with fried corn tortilla strips, shredded Oaxaca or monterey jack cheese and fresh avocado slices.
NOTE: This soup freezes wonderfully!